fetchmail, when does one loose email?

I've been following the recent threads on fetchmail and i've been reading up on it but i'm not quite clear on when one can loose mail. Right now in fetchmailrc i have "set no bouncemail, antispam -1, batchlimit 50, keep" as defaults. Fetchmail in my case fetches email of several pop3 servers from where it goes into exim and exim passes it on to icourer imap. According to the man page fetchmail under --flush: " What you probably want is the default set­ting: if you don't specify `-k', then fetchmail will automatically delete messages after successful delivery. " So if i remove 'keep' from the defaults fetchmail will automatically delete messages from the pop server after successful delivery to my MTA, exim in my case, if one goes by the manual. From this it seems that even if the exim setup, or whatever MTA, is a mess...fetchmail will not delete any mail because a delivery would simply not be succesfull. Yet there's loads and loads of people loosing email at one point or another due to a badly configured MTA. In short, am i still at risk of loosing email even if i don't have an antispam filter in exim (so no error 571 will be send from exim to fetchmail).

cheers.