Re: fetchmail, when does one loose email?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:36:30 -0500
ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:40:37PM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:22:44AM +0100, wsa wrote:

<snip - wondering when fetchmail can lose mail>

> > Successful delivery to your MTA.  What your MTA then does with it
> > is something that fetchmail knows nothing about.
>
> I don't know if that's _entirely_ true.  I think that fetchmail waits
> for one of the "okay I handled that successfully" SMTP codes from the
> MTA before it deletes the message off the POP server.  If it gets a
> failure code from the MTA it will _not_ delete the mail.
>
> So really, the only way you're likely to lose your mail with fetchmail
> is if your MTA is so misconfigured that it'll lose mail and still
> report a success.

I believe ScruLoose is right. I recently changed the configuration on my
mailserver and started getting reports from friends about e-mails
bouncing - with my new configuration, I needed to tell fetchmail to
deliver to username@mydomain.net, instead of simply "username". So, they
were seeing bounce messages saying there was no such user on my server.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

NT == No Thanks