Re: fetchmail, when does one loose email?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:40:37PM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:22:44AM +0100, wsa wrote:
> > I've been following the recent threads on fetchmail and i've been
> > reading up on it but i'm  not quite clear on when one can loose mail.
> > Right now in fetchmailrc i have "set no bouncemail, antispam -1,
> > batchlimit 50, keep" as defaults.
> > Fetchmail in my case fetches email of several pop3 servers from where it
> > goes into exim and exim passes it on to icourer imap.
> > According to the man  page fetchmail  under --flush: " What you probably
> > want is  the  default  set?ting:  if  you  don't  specify `-k', then
> > fetchmail will automatically delete messages after successful delivery. "
> > So if i remove 'keep' from the defaults fetchmail will automatically
> > delete messages from the pop server after successful delivery to my MTA,
> > exim in my case, if one goes by the manual.
> > From this it seems  that even if the exim setup, or whatever MTA,  is a
> > mess...fetchmail will not delete any mail because a delivery would
> > simply not be succesfull.
>
> Successful delivery to your MTA.  What your MTA then does with it
> is something that fetchmail knows nothing about.

I don't know if that's _entirely_ true.  I think that fetchmail waits
for one of the "okay I handled that successfully" SMTP codes from the
MTA before it deletes the message off the POP server.  If it gets a
failure code from the MTA it will _not_ delete the mail.

So really, the only way you're likely to lose your mail with fetchmail
is if your MTA is so misconfigured that it'll lose mail and still report
a success.

	Cheers!
--