Re: Installing modem.

> > 1. Use /dev/MAKEDEV to make the ttyS4 device in /dev, as your kernel
> > will normally not make it for you.
> >
> > 2. The device should now be available under that name, and you should
> > be able to use it freely in any system, you should probably also
> > symlink it to /dev/modem so that some dialer programs will work
> > properly.

. . .

> You are on target however there is some question, in my mind at least, where
> the modem is installed in linux. KDE says it is d000-d007 others say it
> should be ttyS04 and ttyS4 my system seems to list ttyS? as TTYS??. Windows
> XP installed it on com4, which impilys that it should be probably on TTYS03.
> Perhaps I'm just confused because I dont know enough.  Thanks for your input
> I'll keep it in mind.
> Regards;
> Hoyt

To find out what device you should be using, I recomend this method, which
worked for me.  If you are using a PCI modem, then it is almost
guaranteed that your device will be something like ttyS4.  To find out
what you should use in /dev/MAKEDEV, just dmesg | grep tty or whatever
happens to bring up the relevant lines about your modem.  Should it
say something like ttyS05, then you should MAKEDEV ttyS5.  In my case,
I saw ttyS04, so I think [it has been a while] I ran "/dev/MAKEDEV
/dev/ttyS4" and it created the device properly and the modem
responded.  The thing that confused me back then was that I thought
the modem device was already created, since I already had ttyS0-3, but
I didn't realize that I had to make another device for ttyS04 that the
dmesg reported.

I hope this helps.

Aaron