Re: heres my noob install questions, smart people please help

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 07:22:18AM -0600, Hoyt Bailey wrote:

> In linux or windows I dont qualify as smart but I have some experience with
> this subject.  I think you are under some misconception about whats
> happening.

I really don't think I'm the one with the misconception.

> I had a windows system and a RH system on the same disk. The RH
> system auto mounted the windows at /mnt/windows so I had access to all of
> the windows files it was easy to transfer xxx to RH by cp xxx xxx.  I was
> mostly using gimp on the RH but could not think of a way to transfer from RH
> to windows except via floppy.

It's very simple. Just copy the files into the appropriate
subdirectories inside /mnt/windows. I did this routinely for years
(before switching entirely to linux). See below.

> Consider the following when windows is
> mounted on the linux system it is just a file on a directory (mnt/windows)
> windows isnt running!  Should you write a file to /mnt/windows there is
> nothing to check for free space, nothing to register the file as far as
> windows is concerned the file dosent exist but you have corrupted the system
> by overwriting files that it knows about.  What would happen ?  Who knows!

Sorry to be heavy-handed, but this is simply completely wrong.
If you mount a windows FAT partition under your linux system, linux
looks at the existing (windows) filesystem on that partition and
respects it fully. (You're certainly right that windows is not running.)
When you have that partition mounted to, say /mnt/windows like your
example, you can treat it like any other directory.  All the existing
windows files are plainly visible, etc.  If you write a file in there
somewhere, it goes _exacly_ where windows would expect to find it,
within the framework of the filesystem.  Reboot into windows, and you'll
find the new file right where you put it. Along with all the old files
right where you left them. This does *not* corrupt the filesystem or any
such thing.  I used to do this on a daily basis so I had read-write
access to my MP3 collection from both Linux and Windows.
Of course if you mount your windows partition under linux and start
_deleting_ stuff, then when you reboot into windows the deleted stuff
will be gone.  No surprise there.

> All you have to do is mount linux on a windows part. and then you will have
> access to the linux files.

Even in the event that there are drivers to let windows mount my ext2,
ext3, or reiserFS partitions, there is NO WAY I'm going to trust that
broken POS OS with that job.

Of course, if your windows drives are formatted NTFS instead of FAT,
that's a different story entirely. The linux drivers for NTFS are
experimental and it's recommended to mount those drives read-only.

	Cheers!
--