Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:11:37AM -0800, Mark Healey wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:34:57 -0600, Kent West wrote:

> >I would suggest (modestly?) that you read "Kent's 10-Step Procedure to
> >Compiling a Debian Kernel", which is the bottom section of "README.gz"
> >in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package (you'll need to "apt-get install
> >kernel-package" to ge this document).
>
> I hope that was a cruel joke.

Why do you say that?
If you use apt-cdrom to set your apt sources.list so it points at your
collection of woody CDs (also comment out or delete any references to
network sources), you can apt-get install plenty of stuff without a
network connection.
Similarly, you could then use aptitude (I really like aptitude, and
being ncurses-based, it doesn't need X).

And you really will want to install the kernel-package package before
you start actually compiling a kernel, so there's nothing cruel or
inappropriate about referring you to docs that are included in that
package.

Depending on how many of the woody CDs you have, you can very likely use
apt-get or aptitude to install all the packages that people have been
suggesting.  I used this method to install all the tools that are called
for in the Very Verbose Guide to Compiling a Debian Kernel.

	Cheers!
--