Re: using exim directly instead of smarthost

* Benedict Verheyen (linux4bene@pandora.be) wrote:
<snip>
> If i understand correctly all of the above:
> 1. I could use exim on my server to relay all mail for me except to
> hotmail and yahoo.
> 2. I can setup everything at my isp's so that mail to my domain will be
> sent over to my pc.

I have exactly the sort of setup you are talking about, and I both
sent and received until my ISP blocked outgoing messages.  I just set
up my ISP as the smarthost, and life continues just fine.

I use dyndns, and for US$30 (donation) use my own domain name, set up
MX records, and all that.  I have a cron job run ipcheck.py hourly,
and that takes care of keeping dyndns' nameservers up-to-date on my
whereabouts.  I doubt your ISP would do this for you, except for a
monthly fee.  The nameserver has to have an address different from
yours, so at the least you would need two IP numbers.  Much less
hassle and expense to use a dynamic DNS service.

> Another thing i was wondering about: if you would want to use your own
> nameservers with MX records and a mailserver, you would need at least 4
> machines: 2 nameservers, 1 "main" mailserver and a backup mailserver and
> then a fixed ip is needed? However, if you can use the nameservers of your
> isp and adjust the MX records there, why would you want to use your own
> name servers?
>
> Are their any good books / other documentation that deal with this and all
> related stuff? It's very interesting :)

Check out dyndns.org.  There are several of us on this list who use
it.  It was quite simple to set up.

Good luck

Cam

--