Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

Mark Healey wrote:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:09:24 -0500, ScruLoose wrote:

First off.  I am doing this because none of the kernels on the cds
support my nic.  Consequently, any suggestions that involve using
apt-get show that the suggestor is a moron who doesn't pay attention.

Whereas I might agree that the person is not paying attention, I don't believe I'd agree that s/he's a moron. There are lots of messages that go by on this list. If you mention something in a post, and four or twenty postings later in the same thread someone makes a comment even if he's been reading the thread all along, he may not remember that detail from four postings ago, particularly if he's been reading two or three other threads that are similar to the one in question.

Also, from the post to which this message is a reply, I'm not sure if Mark Healy or ScruLoose wrote the paragraph mentioning a moron. We all make mistakes in quote attribution at times, and have been the victim of incorrect attribution.

Also, my X isn't working either so the same applies to people who
suggest using some X program to fix the problem.

I know I've responded to Mark a time or two, maybe about X; maybe about the network; I just don't remember, and I don't keep the messages around too long, and I'm too lazy to go search the archives every time I need to remember a detail. If I've offended you by saying things that seem stupid to you, I apologize. It's not that I'm particularly stupid; it's that I can't remember who I told what when about what issue.

One thing that helps in this regard is to keep different topics in different threads, and to title the subject line accordingly. For example, X issues might be titled something like "X won't start for this newbie", and network issues might be titled something like "3c59x module loads, but can't ping". This also helps other users when they go searching the archives for answers to their similar dilemmas.

So, what's wrong again with your X setup?

Buying another nic card isn't an option either.

Why? I vaguely remember someone saying they couldn't get to town to get a nic because they have a broken/missing accelerator cable. Perhaps that was you? Or is it because you can't afford one? Don't have the slots available for one?

Experience has shown that I'm going to have to include the above in
every post.

Sorry I'm so dense. But yep, I need lots of repetition.

I've decided to roll my own (this is hacker shit that an ordinary user
should never have to even think about) becasue none of the precompiled
kernels match what I have very well.

You're right; ordinary users shouldn't have to think about rolling their own if they're paying for service. However, if you're getting something free, sometimes you have to accept the flaws in that product. Debian coders are volunteers; I'm sure they'd love to have real paying jobs where they could scratch their itch and yours. Instead, they scratch their itch because they want to, and if you benefit from it, great!. And part of that itch scratching for many of them is to solve problems for you, but that's lower on the priority list for most.

I certainly understand your frustration. I've been there a time or two. I've learned to blame the hardware manufacturers for not supporting Debian instead of blaming Debian for not supporting certain hardware. I hope that lesson has made me a better citizen of the Debian community.

I've managed to get the tarball for 2.4.22 which is what kernel.org
says is the latest stable one.

I need instructions.  Someone suggested:

Also check out "The Very Verbose Guide to Updating and Compiling Your
Debian Kernel"

Which was close but unfortunately is apt-get and X dependent.

Is there a site that has instructions in comparable depth that only
depend on console apps?

I would suggest (modestly?) that you read "Kent's 10-Step Procedure to Compiling a Debian Kernel", which is the bottom section of "README.gz" in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package (you'll need to "apt-get install kernel-package" to ge this document). It also seems to be online here: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200205/msg02951.html. It may not answer your questions, but it covers the things that I saw as issues.

--
Kent