Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 09:11, Mark Healey wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:34:57 -0600, Kent West wrote:
>
> >Mark Healey wrote:
> >> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:09:24 -0500, ScruLoose wrote:
> >>
> >> First off.  I am doing this because none of the kernels on the cds
> >> support my nic.  Consequently, any suggestions that involve using
> >> apt-get isn't really helpful.
> Also, my X isn't working either so the same applies any graphical
> tools.

I recognize this answer is coming rather late...

first off: you don't need a network connection to install stuff.
you can just as well download a package, bring it to some removable
media, and carry it to the box in question. Then "dpkg -i".

Over here we call this the "sneaker network".

To make this easier, there is a package called "apt-zip".
Please note that you don't necessarily have to use zip disks. Any
removable media will do, you can burn it to DVD or punch a paper tape.
Doesn't matter.

Next, I strongly suggest you build your kernel "the debian way" as has
been pointed out in several posts. That's really easy. The above should
enable you to install all the necessary packages.

HTH,
Schnobs