Re: Desktop hostname?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:33:49PM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> I'm an average-Joe user on a lone desktop machine connected to the internet
> through a cable modem & router. Currently, I have my hostname set to 'Moe',
> simply because I think Moe is a good name for my computer. This seems to show up
> in lots of other things, though, like assumed e-mail addresses and default
> identifiers and such. Is there anything this /should/ be set to? 'localhost'
> seems to be the default, but that doesn't seem any more descriptive or useful
> than my made-up name.

Did you just tell exim it was called "Moe" or is that the name
you've given it?  If you gave it a name when you installed the
system but don't remember it, type

hostname

to find out what it is.

> I guess this question is related to my exim settings. Exim has always seemed to
> me to be good for server-type systems, not home desktops. Although I'd really
> like to get it working to at least be able to send mail through it, so I don't
> have the personal stigma of having a 'broken mail system' anymore.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm sure I'm one of the most clueless people that ever joined this
mailing list, and I got it to work. :)

David

--
David Jardine