Re: ClamAV & Amavisd-new (was Re: exim3 + amavis-new + clamav(clamd)- Help!)

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 12:53, BruceG wrote:
> [...]
[big snippage]
> > > 3. Decide on AntiVir scanning.
> >
> > Amavisd-new is *fat*.
> >

> > Here's my setup (all from Debian sarge & sid) that works great with
> > cox.net:
> >   fetchmail                6.2.4-1
> >   fetchmailconf            6.2.4-1
> >   postfix                  2.0.16-2
> >   postfix-pcre             2.0.16-2
> >   spamassassin             2.60-2
> >   spamc                    2.60-2
> >   razor                    2.361-2  (works with SpamAssassin)
> >   courier-imap             1.7.3-10
> >   courier-base             0.42.2-10
> >   courier-authdaemon       0.42.2-10
> >   maildrop                 1.5.3-1
> >
> > I can send you my modified config files, if you'd like.
> >
> > --
> > Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
> > Jefferson, LA USA
> >
> Argh! Postfix! I started with Exim, played with Sendmail (following a
> howto), then played with Postfix. I didn't use the smarthost option, though.
>
> I installed Exim4 and set it to use mail.bellsouth.net - e-mail popped out
> fine and did not go in my Yahoo junk folder. Hotmail DID junk it though,
> that's not a good thing. I'll research a littlemore on that subject.
>
> Next up: filters and cleanup all that AntiVir stuff. I've got way too much
> stuff in there eating up what little bit of memory my PC has.
>
> Thanks for the offer on your config files. If I through my hands up, I'd be
> happy tpo review your config files and get as close to that config as
> possible (on a light-weight machine)
>
> Hey - how do I verify that my e-mail did go through the smarthost? Would it
> appear in my headers?

For one thing, *don't do that*!  Since you have a dynamic IP add-
ress, many big ISPs will immediately blackhole mail coming from
your server, because they will presume that a spammer has relayed
their spam through you.  "Guilty, and you can't prove you're inno-
cent."

Set all email clients to do the sending (just like they did before
you installed an MTA.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a hotel
with a bunch of journalists in it."
Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)