Re: ClamAV & Amavisd-new (was Re: exim3 + amavis-new + clamav (clamd)- Help!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
To: "Debian-User" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 8:52 AM
Subject: ClamAV & Amavisd-new (was Re: exim3 + amavis-new + clamav (clamd)-
Help!)

> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:36, BruceG wrote:
> > Okay, I've got exim working. Courier-imap is working well, and messages
are
> > popping into folders. I decided to try ClamAV, and am running into
trouble.

> > I installed clamav, clamav-daemon and amavis-new. I can run a clamscan
from
> > the command promptand scan user directories. I don't see where
amavis-new is
> > coming into the picture. I edited my amavis.conf to use Exim3 format and
use
> > ClamAV. Amavis-new starts up automatically. clamd is also running. When
I go
> > to http://www.declude.com/tools/mailsend.html and send a virus to my
server,
> > it does not pick it up and quarantine it.
> >
> > I looked in /var/log and do not see logging for amavis. Where do I start
> > looking?
>
> Out of curiosity, why have ClamAV and Amavisd-new?  I though they
> were both AV packages.

That would be due to administrator ignorance. I think I'll remove
Amavisd-new. My PC was working okay with 16 Meg memory and no swapping
without Amavisd-new and ClamAV. Now I have about 14Meg in swap. Not cool at
all. My order of attack is:

1. Figure out e-mail relay through BellSouth. Either with Exim3 as
installed, or wth Exim4.
2. Clean up filtering. Some of my filters work, some don't. Hmmm, gotta read
a manual.
3. Decide on AntiVir scanning.
        My wife's laptop is running WinXP. My desktop dual-boots between
SuSE 8.2 and Windows ME. My work laptop dual-boots between Win2K and RH9.0.
All Windows PC's have current AntiVirus software and up-to-date definitions,
but I'd rather stop stuff before it has a chance to get in. Besides, I'm
tryingto learn so I could do this for a church - and I know half the Windows
PC's have no antivir, and the majority of those that do - do not have
up-to-date subscriptions, so their definition files are out of date.
        I know ClamAV is working in command mode. I have a cron job that
scans my /home directories at 01:00 daily. If Amavisd-new is too heavy, then
I might try to call clamd from Procmail. Or not. Depends on how slow it
makes mail-delivery.

I also got rid of SquirrelMail. It's cool, but too much for a 16MegRAM,
100Mhz PC. The PC is okay for POP mail, half-way okay for IMAP. I think a
web front-end is too much.