Re: ClamAV & Amavisd-new (was Re: exim3 + amavis-new + clamav(clamd)- Help!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
To: "Debian-User" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: ClamAV & Amavisd-new (was Re: exim3 + amavis-new +
clamav(clamd)- Help!)

> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 11:20, BruceG wrote:

When
> > I go
> > server,

> > > Out of curiosity, why have ClamAV and Amavisd-new?  I though they
> > > were both AV packages.
> >
> > That would be due to administrator ignorance. I think I'll remove
> > Amavisd-new. My PC was working okay with 16 Meg memory and no swapping
> > without Amavisd-new and ClamAV. Now I have about 14Meg in swap. Not cool
at
> > all. My order of attack is:
> >
> > 1. Figure out e-mail relay through BellSouth. Either with Exim3 as
> > installed, or wth Exim4.
>
> Everyone else says "exim is so simple", but I never could get it
> to work.  Postfix, on the other hand, worked immediately.
>
> > 2. Clean up filtering. Some of my filters work, some don't. Hmmm, gotta
read
> > a manual.
> > 3. Decide on AntiVir scanning.
>
> Amavisd-new is *fat*.
>

> Here's my setup (all from Debian sarge & sid) that works great with
> cox.net:
>   fetchmail                6.2.4-1
>   fetchmailconf            6.2.4-1
>   postfix                  2.0.16-2
>   postfix-pcre             2.0.16-2
>   spamassassin             2.60-2
>   spamc                    2.60-2
>   razor                    2.361-2  (works with SpamAssassin)
>   courier-imap             1.7.3-10
>   courier-base             0.42.2-10
>   courier-authdaemon       0.42.2-10
>   maildrop                 1.5.3-1
>
> I can send you my modified config files, if you'd like.
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
> Jefferson, LA USA

Argh! Postfix! I started with Exim, played with Sendmail (following a
howto), then played with Postfix. I didn't use the smarthost option, though.

I installed Exim4 and set it to use mail.bellsouth.net - e-mail popped out
fine and did not go in my Yahoo junk folder. Hotmail DID junk it though,
that's not a good thing. I'll research a littlemore on that subject.

Next up: filters and cleanup all that AntiVir stuff. I've got way too much
stuff in there eating up what little bit of memory my PC has.

Thanks for the offer on your config files. If I through my hands up, I'd be
happy tpo review your config files and get as close to that config as
possible (on a light-weight machine)

Hey - how do I verify that my e-mail did go through the smarthost? Would it
appear in my headers?