Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:09:24 -0500, ScruLoose wrote:

First off.  I am doing this because none of the kernels on the cds
support my nic.  Consequently, any suggestions that involve using
apt-get show that the suggestor is a moron who doesn't pay attention.
Also, my X isn't working either so the same applies to people who
suggest using some X program to fix the problem.

Buying another nic card isn't an option either.

Experience has shown that I'm going to have to include the above in
every post.

I've decided to roll my own (this is hacker shit that an ordinary user
should never have to even think about) becasue none of the precompiled
kernels match what I have very well.

I've managed to get the tarball for 2.4.22 which is what kernel.org
says is the latest stable one.

I need instructions.  Someone suggested:

>Also check out "The Very Verbose Guide to Updating and Compiling Your
>Debian Kernel"
>  http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949

Which was close but unfortunately is apt-get and X dependent.

Is there a site that has instructions in comparable depth that only
depend on console apps?

Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com

Giving debian a chance.