Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:23:35AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Mark Healey wrote:
>
> >Exactly what is a kernel-image?
>
> A kernel-image is a pre-compiled kernel; it's the base, the core, of
> Debian GNU/Linux (and other Linux-based operating systems).
>
> This is in contrast to a kernel source tarball (a .tar.bz2, as you
> mention above), which must be configured and compiled. The source is
> what the programmers write. Then they (or you) compile it into a binary
> image.
>
> Installing a kernel-image is usually much easier than "rolling your
> own". Of course, compiling your own kernel has its advantages, such as
> being customized to your hardware rather than being more generic, etc.

And don't forget the option of getting a Debian kernel-source package,
which has the advantage of coming with some (useful?) patches
pre-applied. Download the kernel-source deb, dpkg -i the sucker, and
it'll get untarred into the appropriate location, ready to
configure/compile.

Also check out "The Very Verbose Guide to Updating and Compiling Your
Debian Kernel"
Which I found to be very helpful when compiling my first kernel.
About a week ago. (None of the precompiled kernel-image ones I tried
would support my NIC)

	Cheers!
--