Re: heres my noob install questions, smart people please help

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:32:33PM -0800, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> David Millet said on Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 05:25:24PM -0700:
> > 4) once i get debian up and running, i want to set it up to where
> > the second partition on hda, my win2000 fat32 drive, is mounted as
> > my home directory as a user. in other words, i want one of my fat32
> > partitions mounted at /home/david/ after i create the david user
> > account. can that be done?
>
> Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it.  The FAT filesystem semantics aren't
> the same as Unix, and it's not a very good filesystem anyway.  I would
> leave your Unix homedir on a Unix filesystem, and mount the fat32
> partition somewhere else.
>
> If, however, you wanted to do this, you could by putting
>
> /dev/hda2	/home/david		vfat	defaults 0 0
>
> in your /etc/fstab.

You may also run into some problems regarding permissions.  Some
applications specifically check the permissions on the user
configuration data files and I'm not sure if these applications will
work with the data files residing on a FAT32 partition.  As Mark has
suggested you'd be better off mounting the FAT32 partition elsewhere.

--
Jamin W. Collins