new user question about stable branch

Is the stable branch frozen in place except for security/bug fixes from the
time it was released?  I installed woody and then upgraded to kernel 2.4.18,
which made me think what other packages are update from time to time.

Also, I'm assuming that running woody is the best bet for mission critical
stuff?  We are primarily a freebsd house, but run a few redhat servers for
our sap databases.  Been meaning to dump redhat for a while and now that
their update support is stopping soon it's time to make the switch.

By the way, coming from a bsd background debian really seems to be the
easiest transition.  apt-get is probably more similar to the bsd ports then
rpm is (god I hate rpm's), and unlike redhat or suse it installs most of
what you need for a standard server setup in a conservative, intelligent
way.  Nice work guys.

Chris