Re: new user question about stable branch

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:05:57PM -0800, Chris Ochs wrote:

> Is the stable branch frozen in place except for security/bug fixes from the
> time it was released?  I installed woody and then upgraded to kernel 2.4.18,
> which made me think what other packages are update from time to time.

In terms of "Official" Debian, yes. Frozen except for those fixes.
Lots of people use backports of things they just _must_ have newer
versions of, though.
The usual place to look for backports is apt-get.org
For example, I'm working on setting up a woody mail server at home,
using backports of exim4 and spamassassin 2.55...

> Also, I'm assuming that running woody is the best bet for mission critical
> stuff?

Definitely.
Testing seems to be strangely unpopular, and unstable is nowhere near as
unstable as the name would indicate, but things do occasionally break.
Woody boasts archaic versions of some packages, but when the developers
call it 'stable', they mean it.

> ... (god I hate rpm's),

Oh, I hear you.
Apt is ... so good ... Especially compared to RPMs.

	Cheers!
--