Re: new user question about stable branch

"Chris Ochs" <chris@paymentonline.com> writes:

> Is the stable branch frozen in place except for security/bug fixes from the
> time it was released?

Yes.

> I installed woody and then upgraded to kernel 2.4.18, which made me
> think what other packages are update from time to time.

In the particular case of the kernel, the 2.4.18 kernel was
distributed with Debian 3.0 ("woody"), but it was still a little fresh
to be considered for the default kernel.

> Also, I'm assuming that running woody is the best bet for mission critical
> stuff?

This is probably the use case that stable is most intended for, yeah.
People running desktop machines seem to be frequently frustrated that
stable has "old" packages, but if you don't want to be running the
GNOME-of-the-week because that server really really needs to be up,
woody is a pretty good call.

	-- Abra Mitchell