Re: POP3 mail fetcher that supports unreliable connections?

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 16:54, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2003-11-04 10:41:10 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> > That's because fetchmail didn't lose the mail; the delivery system did.
>
> In some sense, yes. But if fetchmail didn't use the delivery system,
> I wouldn't have lost mail.

In every sense "yes". Stop there. Roll that thought around for a while.
Only then will you realize where the problem lies. Did fetchmail's
documentation tell you it was going to use your MTA? Undisputably yes.
Did it do what it said it was going to do? Again yes.

Did fetchmail claim that it was going to get your mail and very tenderly
lay it on a nice soft, warm sector on your hard disk and check in on it
every few minutes to make sure it was ok? no? (ok, maybe a bit far
there, but you get the idea)

I do honestly sympathize with you for losing mail, I have lost data by
doing the wrong thing before. But you need to point the finger in the
right direction, even if that sometimes means you have to suck it up and
point it at yourself.

--
Mark Roach