Re: POP3 mail fetcher that supports unreliable connections?

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 at 09:04 GMT, Vincent Lefevre penned:
> On 2003-11-03 21:43:26 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> Whatever you think about what a mail fetcher should be doing,
>> shouldn't you read at least the first paragraph of the man page
>> before using a tool?
> This isn't sufficient: it gives no warning that mail may be lost by
> doing this. I was rather naive and thought that if this failed, then
> fetchmail wouldn't delete the mail.

That's because fetchmail didn't lose the mail; the delivery system did.

> Reading the man page won't solve the problems inherent to a dangerous
> method. Even if you have a working system, the configuration of your
> local delivery system may change in the future. It is still possible
> to make a mistake when implementing an antispam rule and reject to
> much mail (I know sysadmins who did that wrong).

You're absolutely right -- a misconfigured MTA is dangerous and can lose
your mail.  What does this have to do with fetchmail?

PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me!  I'm already subscribed!!