Re: source.list won't stat (problem gone)

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:23:16AM -0500, Haines Brown said
> > From: Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>

> > >=20
> > > Sorry - not working (with middle mousebutton; I don't expect span to
> > > work because I didn't say to emulate three-button when I
> > > installed).=20
> >
> > If you re-run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", you can change this.
>
> Yes, but why do I need to emulate 3-button when I have a middle
> scroll-button on the mouse?

You don't.  Click your wheel.

> > > But my question was actually about how to paste from the keyboard.
> >
> > Somethine like this should work:
> >
> > $ apt-get -y install blah > /tmp/log 2>&1
>
> That's not quite what I meant. I know I can do this, but it's not
> really copying and pasting to and from xterm with the keyboard. One
> disadvantage is when the program I'm running in xterm involves a
> prompt, it is hidden by a pipe. So I'm in the habit of using instead
> the script utility. It allows me to respond to prompts, and it records
> my inputs as well.

Fair enough.

> I'm beginning to suspect that the reason I'm not able to copy/paste
> with xterm is that I discovered that gmp was not installed as part of
> the basic debian package. I installed it, and when I next restart the
> X server, I'll see if I can use the clipboard with xterm.

No, GPM is only useful at all on an actual virtual terminal.  X does not
need it all for full mouse use.  If you use GPM, then you'll need to
reconfigure X to use /dev/gpmdata as it's mouse source, and make sure
GPM is set to repeat the mouse data.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day: Compsec militia AVN Semtex BATF TELINT supercomputer VX Elvis