Re: source.list won't stat (problem gone)

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:30:29AM -0500, Haines Brown said
> > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:43:27PM -0500, Haines Brown said
> > > I have the following lines in my /etc/apt/sources.list
> > >=20
> > > deb http://security.debian.org woody/updates main contrib non-free
> > > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> > > deb http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian $(ARCH)/
> > >=20
> > > When I run Aptitude update, they won't stat.=20
> >
> > Run "apt-get update".  You'll need to do this after each time you edit
> > your sources.list.
>
> My last line above, which is the equivalent of "apt-get update" is
> what resulted in the won't stat error in the first place. That is, I
> could not update.

In future, it would be a *massive* help to us if you could include the
full error that you see.  Ideally without wrapping, without
indentation, etc.

> However, when I try it now it works. All I did was to uncomment the
> earlier URLs. No idea what changed (I don't _think_ I foolishly had a
> space at start of the lines).

Were you online at the time?  "apt-get update" will hit each source in
the file, so if you're offline or your DNS is broken or...whatever, then
apt-get will fail.

> In any case, I now did a "# aptitude update && aptitude upgrade", and
> all went smoothly. Thanks for your patience.

You're welcome.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:  LLNL militia Iraq Ft. Meade fraud counter intelligence ANDVT