Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 19:02, David Purton wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:29:39AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 06:00, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > You say you want a "new backup system," and did not specify it should
> > > be tape.
> > >
> > > I recommend that you consider an external USB drive for backups. It is
> > > the cheapest method you could use in terms of cost/mb, and does not
> > > run the danger of proprietary standards (I've got a bunch of old OS/2
> > > DAT tapes I'd like to access, but that will not be easy, no longer
> > > having the commercial software, etc.). With tapes, you are probably
> > > stuck using the one machine that has the drive, while an external
> > > drive can be moved to any machine.
>
> > The big knock against disks as backup is that he'd need 14(!!) disk
> > drives (one for each night, so that if "last night's disk" dies,
> > he can go to the previous night's tape, and recover most of the
> > data).
> >

> Actaully we'd probably risk it with 3 disks - so at any given time we
> have two full snapshots and then use the third disk for daily
> backups. So drves would be not such a bad option.
>
> Also does anyone know anything about these Mobile Rack Hard Disk bays?

Under Linux, removable IDE disks are really iffy.  The kernel just
isn't designed for it.

External firewire hard disk enclosures, instead.  For example:
http://www.cooldrives.com/firen.html

No need to reboot the system, since Linux thinks they are SCSI
disks.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"What other evidence do you have that they are terrorists, other
than that they trained in these camps?"
17-Sep-2002 Katie Couric to an FBI agent regarding the 5 men
arrested near Buffalo NY