Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 22:07, David Purton wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:57:04AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:41:15PM +1030, David Purton (dcpurton@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> > > On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:00:19AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
[snip]
> > If you need to recover a snapshot (or file) from 12 months ago, a
> > three-disk rotation isn't going to do much for you.
>
> We backup offsite on CD, so restoring files 12 months old can be
> covered that way.
>
> The main aim is that if a helicopter lands on our office (we are at an
> airport, right next to the helicopters ;) ) or someone breaks in a
> does a runner wth our server, then we need to be able to get the files
> we are currently working on.

Another method:
If there's broadband service,
1. tar|gzip the data dir, and scp it to a cheap, old box sitting
   off site (say, with an internal 100GB HDD) that has firewire.
   160GB should easily store 14 days at 15GB perday, if the data
   is even 33% compressible.
2. plug an external 160GB firewire disk into that box, and cp the
   tarball onto the external disk, and tote it to a 3rd site.
   You'll need a 2nd external 160GB firewire disk for rotation
   purposes.

Thus, if office goes up in flames on the same day the building
where the off-site PC gets burglarized, there would still be a 3rd
copy out there.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Some former UNSCOM officials are alarmed, however. Terry Taylor,
a British senior UNSCOM inspector from 1993 to 1997, says the
figure of 95 percent disarmament is "complete nonsense because
inspectors never learned what 100 percent was. UNSCOM found a
great deal and destroyed a great deal, but we knew [Iraq's] work
was continuing while we were there, and I'm sure it continues,"
says Mr. Taylor, now head of the Washington
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0829/p01s03-wosc.html