Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:29:39AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 06:00, Haines Brown wrote:
> > You say you want a "new backup system," and did not specify it should
> > be tape.
> >
> > I recommend that you consider an external USB drive for backups. It is
> > the cheapest method you could use in terms of cost/mb, and does not
> > run the danger of proprietary standards (I've got a bunch of old OS/2
> > DAT tapes I'd like to access, but that will not be easy, no longer
> > having the commercial software, etc.). With tapes, you are probably
> > stuck using the one machine that has the drive, while an external
> > drive can be moved to any machine.

> The big knock against disks as backup is that he'd need 14(!!) disk
> drives (one for each night, so that if "last night's disk" dies,
> he can go to the previous night's tape, and recover most of the
> data).

Actaully we'd probably risk it with 3 disks - so at any given time we
have two full snapshots and then use the third disk for daily
backups. So drves would be not such a bad option.

Also does anyone know anything about these Mobile Rack Hard Disk bays?

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3