Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:00:25PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> To use L I have to define the mailing lists I am subscribed to, this
> causes mutt to do weird things (I don't remember exactly what, but it
> might have shown debian-user as the sender of all messages from
> debian-user, instead of the actual senders).

Well, yeah, because that's where they came from.  If you want the index to
display who the message is from, while still allowing 'L'ist replies to
work, change your index expression.  From my ~/.muttrc:

----- cut ----- cut -----

# I have no idea why people think %L is a useful thing to have in the index
# header... in a normal mailbox it works, but in a list mailbox all it tells
# you is that the mail is from the list, and I'm sorry, but you already know
# that.  After all, isn't that why the mail is in the list mailbox in the
# first place? I want to know who *sent* it.
#
# index header format:
# %2M       == number of hidden messages if the thread is collapsed.
# %4C		== current message number
# %Z		== message status
# %{%b %d %R}	== date and time (sender)
# %-15.15L	== list-from
# -or-
# %-15.15F	== author name, or recipient name if the message is from you
# (%4l)		== number of lines
# %s		== subject of message
set index_format="%2M %4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15F (%4l) %s"

--
 Marc Wilson |     The only possible interpretation of any research
 msw@cox.net |     whatever in the `social sciences' is: some do,