Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 19:12 GMT, David Gaudine penned:

> On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 01:34 PM, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
> > I believe I have the Mail-Followup-To header set on my outgoing
> > messages, which should be a clue for some readers. (I was told that
> > gmane would translate Mail-Copies-To to Mail-Followup-To
> automagically.)
>
> With this mail program (the default Mac mail program, which I've not
> used much), when I click "reply" it's your address that gets used.  I
> manually changed it in my earlier followup (surely you didn't get a CC
> of that.)  I don't know if it's because of your headers, the list, or
> with this mail program.  Regardless, the clue is not there.

Hrm..  Does debian-user not set the reply-to to the list, or is this my
headers munging it up, I wonder?  When you reply to other mailing list
messages, does it use the mailing list address?

> I expect that some people like CCs so that they can see responses to
> their own messages immediately and file away the rest for later, and
> assume that everyone shares their preference.  But your sig does seem
> clear enough.

My fiance prefers the CC thing.  But then I always knew he had issues =P

> This is exactly the kind of message that I would be tempted to send to
> the individual and not the list, since it doesn't mention Linux
> anywhere, but I couldn't resist your "Pretty please".

That's exactly why I changed my sig to refer only to CCs, not to plain
emails.  Getting a personal email is reasonable, although in many cases
personal emails prompted by the list would have been better off going to
the list; getting two copies of the same message is a pain.

You're right; it doesn't mention linux (or, more to the point, debian).
But since most of this CC duplication seems to come from the list, I
thought it reasonable to ask.  Besides which, it *could* be construed as
a question about slrn/gmane/MUA settings, in which case I think it
*would* be on-topic.

I probably should have emailed the CCers themselves, but I have long
since deleted those messages.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.