Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:36:47PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 22:18 GMT, Kjetil Kjernsmo penned:
> >
> > I can't agree. For a review of the opposing viewpoints, see
> > http://marc.merlins.org/perso/listreplyto.html I've been in both
> > camps, but I have now settled for the "harmful" camp.  I've been to
> > too many mailing lists with reply-tos, and what you get is a lot of
> > mis-sent private messages, and then a lot of "sorry, didn't mean
> > that", flame-wars over comments that weren't meant for the list, and
> > even "hell, remove that comment from the list archive". All that is
> > _far_ more annoying than the occasional CC, IMHO.
> >

> Upon reading this, I have to agree with you -- having a supposedly
> private message sent to the list could range from mildly annoying to
> outrageously embarrassing.
>
> But then I have to ask -- do some clients automagically CC the poster,
> or are people going to the trouble of CCing manually?

I hit the g key in mutt. It usually does do CCs. I'm told that there is
a header that people can set to request no CCs. I think you mentionned
something along those lines. I am pretty sure mutt respects that. I
think most of the CCs you are receiving are from borken mail-clients
that don't respect that header.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>