Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:37:49PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
| On Tuesday 28 October 2003 20:30, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
| [...]
| > Hrm..  Does debian-user not set the reply-to to the list, or is this my
| [...]
| Apparently not.

Correct.

| I wonder why not.

These, probably amongst other reasons,

| It would surely be a good idea

No it wouldn't.  Hmm, I should rearrange my set up just to prove the
point.  :-D  (make my From: address be an autoresponder that tells you
to use the address in the Reply-To: header)

| - for those using simpler mail clients.

If the tool doesn't work, get one that does.  It's not like options
aren't available or are overpriced.

| I use kmail and filter lists direct to
| their own folders, where I set the reply-to-list address to try to prevent
| myself making mistakes...
|
| À propos, I've been thinking of giving mutt a try:  can it do that too?

mutt doesn't do the filtering.  Separation of responsibility.  Instead
use maildrop or procmail to sort the mail into the proper folders.

mutt does have a list-reply function (in addition to reply and
group-reply (aka "reply to all")).  One keystroke.  It obeys CC/non-CC
requests in the Mail-Followup-To header as well.

mutt is _very_ powerful;  at this point I use enough of its advanced
features and have enough keystrokes ingrained in my fingers that I
can't really handle mail (certainly not the volume of debian-user)
with any other mail reader

-D

--
Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut!

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/