Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 01:34 PM, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> I believe I have the Mail-Followup-To header set on my outgoing
> messages, which should be a clue for some readers. (I was told that
> gmane would translate Mail-Copies-To to Mail-Followup-To automagically.)

With this mail program (the default Mac mail program, which I've not
used much), when I click "reply" it's your address that gets used.
I manually changed it in my earlier followup (surely you didn't get a
CC of that.)  I don't know if it's because of your headers, the list, or
with this mail program.  Regardless, the clue is not there.

I expect that some people like CCs so that they can see responses
to their own messages immediately and file away the rest for later,
and assume that everyone shares their preference.  But your sig
does seem clear enough.

This is exactly the kind of message that I would be tempted to send to
the individual and not the list, since it doesn't mention Linux anywhere,
but I couldn't resist your "Pretty please".

David