Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 02:03:56PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > But the "less formal process", i.e., intuitive mapping without know-
> > > ing what adjectives, adverbs, participles, etc are is less efficient
> > > than having formal knowledge (even if that formal knowledge does not
> > > consist of drawing diagrams).
> >
> > dude, that "less formal process" is the innate human linguistic
> > mechanism.  no arguing with that one.  plenty of people understand
> > sentences just fine every day without ever stopping to consider why --
> > and much more efficiently, as anyone who's ever been in a syntax class
> > will tell you!
> Sure, but reading anything other than short prose becomes difficult,
> and prone to misunderstanding.

Ever tried to read Michel Focault?

He's the only writer I've read who wrote sentences too complex for me to
parse and understand.  Every sentence is literally about a five-way
compound predicate with about three dependant clauses, each one
consisting of about a five-way compound adjective, and each paragraph is
about five sentences.   Everything he says has about 45 concepts in it