Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 16:21, Tom wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:54:26PM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:11:49PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > >
> > >   english is like lego, yes there are some pieces that change shape
> > > etc. but it consists mostly of bricks and brick like pieces. german (and
> > > lot of other languages) is more like putty - you mold things together.
> > > the lego-like structure of english makes it easier to create a computer
> > > language...
> > >

> > But what the hell is English about the syntax of, for example,
> >
> >    if(isRed(the_fork))  ?
> >
> > It sounds more like Italian to me.
> >

> I think the "the" is throwing you:
>
> I would say isRed(fork) contains an implied [it] and [a]:
>
> [it] | is |      fork
> -----|----|----------
>      |    | \   \
>              \a  \red
>
> fork is a "predicate noun", red is an adjective
>
> But fork.isRed would be:
>
> fork | is \ red
> -----|-----\----
>
> fork is the subject, red is "a predicate adjective"
>
> i'm just guessing, haven't diagrammed sentences since 6th grade
>
> I don't even think they teach this anymore

I didn't learn that exact method, but did learn what I guess you'd
call "sentence decomposition".  It fundamental to being able to
comprehend complex sentences.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code
maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more than
one way to do it...default variables. The dark side of code
maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you
when code you write. If once you start down the dark path,
forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.