Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 17:15, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 at 22:02 GMT, Ron Johnson penned:
> >
> > I didn't learn that exact method, but did learn what I guess you'd
> > call "sentence decomposition".  It fundamental to being able to
> > comprehend complex sentences.
> >

> I don't know about that.  Having a mental map of sentences may be
> fundamental to constructing them perfectly, but being able to understand
> them seems to be a less formal process.  That is, we may have built a
> diagram subconsciously, but most people don't need to be able to draw
> that diagram to use the language.

But the "less formal process", i.e., intuitive mapping without know-
ing what adjectives, adverbs, participles, etc are is less efficient
than having formal knowledge (even if that formal knowledge does not
consist of drawing diagrams).

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Our computers and their computers are the same color. The
conversion should be no problem!"
Unknown