Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 at 22:02 GMT, Ron Johnson penned:

> I didn't learn that exact method, but did learn what I guess you'd
> call "sentence decomposition".  It fundamental to being able to
> comprehend complex sentences.

I don't know about that.  Having a mental map of sentences may be
fundamental to constructing them perfectly, but being able to understand
them seems to be a less formal process.  That is, we may have built a
diagram subconsciously, but most people don't need to be able to draw
that diagram to use the language.

(Just as it would take me some time to figure out the BNF for a
programmin language, but I can read and use it in all but the most
bizarre permutations without trouble.)

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please