Setting Up Ogle - No /dev/dvd

I used apt-get to install ogle and hoped the default oglerc would work without editing. The call to ogle aborted with a message that it could not find /dev/dvd. There is no entry for dvd in /dev and MAKEDEV doesn't know how to make one. The dvd-rom drive is the master on ide2 and a cd-rw drive is the slave on ide2 so ls /proc/ide shows hda hdb hdc hdd. I can play an audio cd in the dvd-rom drive and mount a data cd. My box is Woody with a 2.4.20 kernel.
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get this working?