Re: remote backup from Windows PCs

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a server running Debian with a tape drive and I want to back up
> some Windows PCs to it (via LAN). I could use smbmount and regular Linux
> backup tools (tar or whatever), but the Windows PCs aren't always on.
>
> So I'd prefer that backups are initiated on the remote PCs, and that
> even the file set to backup was controlled on the remote PCs. All the
> Linux server is doing then is streaming the data to tape.
>
> Can anyone recommend some software to achieve this?
Hi Hamish,
I thought of one thing immediately, there is some package that reads email
messgages to it (the server) and using some authentication scheme then
processes the email message as a 'sys admin command'. Thus you have the
remote pcs' email 'back me up' and the email goes to the debian server and
it says ok.
-Kev