Re: No X configuration offered during install of Woody (30r1)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 at 19:24 GMT, Andrew Borland penned:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>> For a lot of machines, X is not at all fundamental =)
>>

> I would beg to differ :) It is certainly not fundamental to server
> operation, but when the first item you are allowed to select in
> tasksel is "Desktop" I do consider some sort of Windowing System to be
> pretty fundamental - since the desktop systems have to sit on some
> sort of Windows Manager and the Windows Managers have to sit on Xfree
> or something similar.  Unless anyone here knows differently of course.
>
> Regards,  Andrew Borland (UK)

I hear what you're saying, though I could always argue that a few
hard-core individuals might prefer to use console apps, or might have
machines old enough that X is an unnecessary load.

TBH, I'm not really familiar with taskselect ... I don't recall it being
there when I last installed a system, but maybe I just don't remember
it.  It does seem like a "desktop" configuration would include X by
default, doesn't it?

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please