Re: No X configuration offered during install of Woody (30r1)

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> This is one of the things I love about debian -- it doesn't make any
> assumptions about what you want on your machine.  It installs the very
> basics necessary to run the OS and update your packages, and then you
> can choose what to add to your setup.

In this instance that was the problem, it didn't give me an opportunity
to choose 'X' in the first place.

> For a lot of machines, X is not at all fundamental =)

I would beg to differ :) It is certainly not fundamental to server
operation, but when the first item you are allowed to select in tasksel
is "Desktop" I do consider some sort of Windowing System to be pretty
fundamental - since the desktop systems have to sit on some sort of
Windows Manager and the Windows Managers have to sit on Xfree or
something similar.  Unless anyone here knows differently of course.

Regards,  Andrew Borland (UK)