Re: No X configuration offered during install of Woody (30r1)

Andreas Janssen wrote:

> > 1) Can anybody suggest any obvious reasons why I was not offered any
> > of the X setup screens during the original installation?
>
> By default, Debian will not install XFree. You can however select it at
> the end of the installation via dselect or tasksel.

This seems to be the problem,  I was not offered Xfree by tasksel so the
fault must have occurred before that.  I've since seen a sample tasksel
menu where Xfree was the very top item, above desktop, but my top item
was desktop.  I had expected 'X' to be installed as a result of choosing
desktop since you cannot, to the best of my knowledge, run a desktop
without some form of 'X'.

> So I would start in single user mode (if you use lilo, type "Linux
> init s" at the boot prompt.

Very Nice!

Regards,  Andrew Borland (UK)