Re: Exim4 and MailDir

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 04:29, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 00:07:53 -0500, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> > Googling for an Exim4 + MailDir + HowTo has yeilded little of value to
> > this poor soul.
> >
> > One referred to a maildirmake command, which isn't on my sarge box inspite
> > of it's exim4 installation.
>
> That command can be used when creating a Maildir tree "by hand" or from a
> script. It's not needed to get exim4 to deliver in Maildir format.
>
> > I'm obviously missing something obvious here - does one simply enable
> > maildir support in Exim4 and restart the daemon,
>
> Yes; you need to set the "maildir_format" option to "true" in the relevant
> transport, as detailed at
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.20/doc/html/spec_25.html#IX1874 .
>
> > and it will automagically create the maildir hierarchies?
>
> Yes.

You are correct, but since I also run a setup for courier-imap and
squirrelmail for my real users, so I have /etc/skel/ with the proper
maildir setup for squirrelmail... which also works for LookOut Exploit,
Evolution, Mozilla-Mail etc... etc...

Here is my transport for Exim4:

maildir_home:
  debug_print = "T: maildir_home for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = appendfile
  directory = $home/Maildir
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
  return_path_add
  maildir_format
  mode = 0600
  mode_fail_narrower = false

Here is my router:

local_user:
  debug_print = "R: local_user for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = accept
  check_local_user
  transport = LOCAL_DELIVERY

I have LOCAL_DELIVERY look like this setup like third statement from the
top:

# The default delivery method
LOCAL_DELIVERY=maildir_home

But, since I like maildrop better than procmail (much much much easier
recipes) I have the maildrop and procmail before local_user

Here are the two routers:

maildrop:
  debug_print = "R: maildrop for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = accept
  check_local_user
  transport = maildrop_pipe
  require_files = ${local_part}:${home}/.mailfilter:+/usr/bin/maildrop
  no_verify
  no_expn

procmail:
  debug_print = "R: procmail for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = accept
  check_local_user
  transport = procmail_pipe
  require_files = ${local_part}:${home}/.procmailrc:+/usr/bin/procmail
  no_verify
  no_expn

Here are the transports:

maildrop_pipe:
  debug_print = "T: maildrop_pipe for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = pipe
  path = "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin"
  command = "/usr/bin/maildrop"
  return_path_add
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add

procmail_pipe:
  debug_print = "T: procmail_pipe for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = pipe
  path = "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin"
  command = "/usr/bin/procmail"
  return_path_add
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add

And YES, I am using Debian's wonderfully packaged Exim4-heavy as
packaged by Andreas Metzler. Kudos to him for a fine job making the
config so easy to wrangle.

Many other packages are just drop in because of it.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Your mother once had eyes that shone like the legs of Mae West.