Re: Problems installing xfree86 4.3 from experimental

Alexander Barinov wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to install debian/unstable on my laptop and I badly need
xfree86 4.3 there. I use aptitude for package management.

So that's what I did:

1. Added
  deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main
to my sources.list

2. Updated package lists using 'u' key in aptitude.

But aptitude still shows me that I can't upgrade xfree86 packages
because available version is 4.2-12

What am I doing wrong?

IIRC, experimental packages will not show up in the package archive.
You either need to pin them their in your conifguration, or specify
them on the command=line line, like so:

apt-get install x-windows-system/experimental

I am not sure if that is exactly right, but play with the syntax and it
should get you what you need.

-Roberto