Re: wxWindows

Dave Howorth wrote:

What I meant was a page that *explained* what each package was and under what circumstances each particular group of packages should be downloaded. Remember I have the viewpoint of somebody who is essentially not interested in wxWindows; certainly not interested in developing it, or for that matter doing development using it. I only need it to build an application for which there is *not* a Debian package, AFAIK. So I have to work out the dependencies myself for wxWindows, about which I know nothing and hopefully shouldn't need to know anything.

If I go to wxWindows own site, there isn't a complicated list of so many packages; I would just choose one package, download and install it. But somebody (Ron Lee?) has decided that it is better to have many packages. Unless they tell me the rationale behind this, how can I appreciate the logic and wisdom?

So as a specific example, which Debian packages should I install to get the same effect as clicking on the Unix/GTK+ link on the wxWindows download site? (which is what the author of the application package recommends to new users.) How am I supposed to discover this correspondence?

Thanks and regards,
Dave

Just 'apt-get install libwxbase2.4 libwxgtk2.4-python
libwxgtk2.4-contrib libwxgtk2.4 libwxgtk2.4-contrib-dev
libwxbase2.4-dev libwxgtk2.4-dev wxwin2.4-headers'

That will get you all of the librarys and the headers that you
need to be able to compile a program against wxWindows.

The reason for seperate packages is that, for example, some people
only want the base classes (non-GUI) to support such applications, like
network utilities that may be written without a GUI, without the need
to install lots of extra libraries.  But, that is just a guess.

-Roberto