Re: How to recover the lost bookmarks

pradeeps@ncbs.res.in wrote:

 Recently Galeon crashed and after trying to re-execute, it
 showed the error called " Cannot find a schema for galeon
 preferences". I fixed as instructed in the site :
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200108/msg01896.html
 " But galeon started fresh and all my previous book marks are lost.
 Can you kindly(please) guide me how can I recover my 4mts of work.

Not being familiar with gconf, I'm not sure what this sequence does:

$ gconftool --shutdown $ su -
   $ GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml::/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults  gconftool

However, since you say "galeon started fresh", I suspect that among other things it either wiped out your ~/.galeon directory, in which case you'll need to restore if from backup (you do have a backup, right?), or it just created a new set of default bookmarks. If I understand the way Galeon works (and I don't, as I seldom use it), it keeps several backups of the bookmarks file (nice feature!). Look in ~/.galeon for some files like "bookmarks.xml.[some number]". I suspect the lowest- or non-numbered file is the most recent (hence, broken in your case), and the next highest-numbered file is that last backup.

I'd make a copy of the galeon directory just for backup purposes during this step (cp -r ~/.galeon ~/.galeon.20Oct2003), then copy the "good" file over the "bad" file (cp ~/.galeon/bookmarks.xml.1 ~/.galeon/bookmarks.xml) and start up Galeon and see if that fixed the problem.

--
Kent