Re: More on spam

On 19 Oct 2003, John Hasler wrote:
> Paul E Condon writes:
> > It has been claimed that one person's spam is another person's ham. To
> > what extent is this actually true? Or is this just obfuscation by the
> > advocates of spam?
>
> Almost all spam has forged headers.  The domains are real and valid but are
> being used without the knowledge or permission of the owners (this is
> clearly illegal but the authorities refuse to act).  There is no reason
> such mail should be delivered.  Implementing Sender Permitted From
> <http://spf.pobox.com/> would put a stop to this.
> --
> John Hasler
> john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI
>

> --

I've realized recently that I'm inadvertently sending out lots of spam.
I'd obviously wish to prevent this but how? I've been to the site you
recommend but I find the information there too complex for me to be sure
how to do it; it seems to be aimed at sysadmins of large sites and is
well above the head of a single user like me. I downloaded a small perl
script (Mail-SPF-Query-1.6) but I'm not clear how to use it. A simple
guide for the uninitiated would be useful.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic