Re: More on spam

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 02:04:44PM +0200, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Friday 17 October 2003 12:53, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> Unfortunately, using a good anti-spam system is a necessity today, and

I read this book called "The Illusion of Technique" by William Barret
which taught me about Wittgenstein, Heidigger, and William James.  The
gist of it is: in a technological society, it is easy to fall into the
trap of "if I just figure out the right techniques, life will be a piece
of cake...".

i.e., If I just buy Jane Fonda's workout tape, I'll lose weight.  If I
just act right in the bar, I'll go home with that hot chick.  If I just
put the means of production in the hands of the workers, there will be
no more economic injustice.  If I just develop the right behavioral
psychology stimulus-response patterns, there will be no more anti-social
behavior.  If I just build a big enough computer, It'll figure out the
answer to arbitrary problems.

What does this have to do with spam?  It bemuses and befuddles me to
observe extremely intelligent people to swatting the air with tools like
spamassassin, when the correct solution lies elsewhere.  The correct
solution is to merely enlighten all of humanity not to send spam.

Sounds stupid right?  Read the book to read why it's the *only*
solution, and all technical solutions are doomed to failure...