Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:38:45 -0700,
Erik Steffl wrote:

[...]

>    think about it: when learning english the only challenge is
> to learn how to pronounce words (and learn irregular
> verbs). you built vocabulary by learning words, where you
> pretty much only need to remember the word itself (in its basic
> form). while when learning german... I don't even want to think
> about it.

Because everybody from the poor war orphan "Hey, Joe, eat!" to
the UN Secretary General speaks it, English has become a rather
tolerant language.  But if the same standard for proper German is
applied to what one considers proper English, then yes, German is
easier to learn.  It's a purer, therefore more consistent
language, than the French-infected English.