Re: Still BIG problems with XFree on Dell C400

Am Die, 2003-10-07 um 18.05 schrieb Jon Haugsand:

[...]

> Anyway, I downloaded kernel 2.4.20, and recompiled it, and after
> several tries, I still have some problems.  E.g. the network is not
> found.  (I used to recompile the kernel often in the old days, but I
> seem to have lost the touch.)
>
> I also downloaded XFree 4.3.0 and it looks like this worked somewhat.
> I am no able to start X by issuing the X command.  But no mouse is
> found, from /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
>
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>         No such device.                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like your kernel is missing USB support, or just USB HID (aka
USB-mouse / -keyboard) support.

Check the following settings in make menuconfig:

	[USB support]
        [*] Support for USB
	[*] Preliminary USB device filesystem
	[*] UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support
	[*] USB Human Interface Device (full HID)support

	[Input core support]
	[*] Input core support
	[*] Keyboard support
	[*] Mouse support
	(1024) Horizontal screen resolution
	(768) Vertical screen resolution
	[*] Joystick support
	[*] Event interface support

(for your touchpad and external PS/2 mice:)

	[Mice]
	[*] Mouse Support (not serial and bus mice)
	[*] PS/2 mouse (aka "auxiliary device") support

> So I think:
>
>   1. I haven't been able to include proper network configuration when
>   recompiling the kernel.

Check PCMCIA support and the driver of your NIC.

[...]

>   3. I miss xdm, gdm and kdm.  Which one should I choose?

I personally prefer GDM, but KDM is nice,too.

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice