Re: Still BIG problems with XFree on Dell C400

Am Mon, 2003-10-06 um 16.37 schrieb Jon Haugsand:
> The Dell C400 is troublesome, in particular with Debian since its
> policy of conservative upgrades.  Anyway, I have downloaded the
> following packages:
>
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Debian 4.3.0-0ds2.0.0woody1 20030307145421 marcelo@)
> kernel-source-2.4.22
>
> The kernel recompiled with settings as recommended.  However, when
> issuing startx, the screens goes black, 30-60 seconds goes by,
> suddenly the screen looks X like with the X mouse pointer, but then I
> am back to console mode again.  Looking into the
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log and grepping out (WW), (EE) and Warning, I get
> this:

[...]

> Any idea of what goes wrong?  Or how to debug my situation?

There is nothing wrong to see here. Please post the complete log.
Or try starting X manually:

$ X
$ export DISPLAY=:0
$ xterm

If you have a working X with a xterm running now, there is probably a
problem with your windowmanager (KDE, Gnome?) or Displaymanager (GDM,
XDM, KDM etc.)

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice