Re: pppd daemon

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:48:20AM -0800, J Y wrote:
> The connection seems to be working now but I can't get any internet
> applications to "see" the connection.
>
> deblnx:/home/john# plog
> Oct  3 13:48:48 deblnx pppd[1333]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid
> 1378), status = 0x1
> Oct  3 13:49:17 deblnx pppd[1333]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x1
> magic=0x6186be31]
> Oct  3 13:49:17 deblnx pppd[1333]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x1 magic=0x0]
>
> deblnx:/home/john# ping 195.40.1.36
> PING 195.40.1.36 (195.40.1.36): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 195.40.1.36: icmp_seq=0 ttl=245 time=260.2 ms
> 64 bytes from 195.40.1.36: icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=259.9 ms
> 64 bytes from 195.40.1.36: icmp_seq=2 ttl=245 time=250.0 ms
> 64 bytes from 195.40.1.36: icmp_seq=3 ttl=245 time=240.0 ms
> 64 bytes from 195.40.1.36: icmp_seq=4 ttl=245 time=239.0 ms
> snip
> --- 195.40.1.36 ping statistics ---
> 1008 packets transmitted, 974 packets received, 3% packet lossround-trip
> min/avg/max = 210.0/219.2/261.0 ms
> deblnx:/home/john#

Fine, your connection is indeed working but you have no DNS. (BTW you
don't need to leave ping running so long - a few packets is enough! It
doesn't come to a 'natural halt' unless you use the -c option: you
just hit ctrl-c once you see it's working. 3% packet loss is no big
deal.)

ISTR seeing another post from you that I read some time after making
my reply (the thread's a bit fragmented by now) containing plog output
which confirmed that you are indeed receiving the IPs of the DNS
servers when you connect, so it's the setting up of the DNS at your
end using that information which isn't working.

/etc/ppp/ip-up has exited with status 1, which is an error status.
This, I think, means that one of the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d is
returning an error. Two of these scripts are to do with setting up
your DNS, so maybe we're getting somewhere.

Are all the scripts executable? What does 'ls -l /etc/ppp/ip-up.d'
report? Do you get any error messages on the console when you connect
using pon, perhaps beginning with 'run-parts:'?

If they are all executable, and there aren't any helpful error
messages from run-parts indicating which script is failing: try adding
'exit 0' as the second line of every script. Then, when you connect,
plog should indicate that /etc/ppp/ip-up exited with status 0. Now you
can delete the 'exit 0' second line from each script in turn, starting
with the one at the top of ls -l, and try connecting after you change
each script. At some point /etc/ppp/ip-up will go back to exiting with
status 1, and then you know which script is producing the error. Once
we know that, we might be able to figure out why.

> When I tried to open konqueror from the terminal I got this response (
> note I was root at terminal) :
> deblnx:/home/john# konqueror
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0.0
> deblnx:/home/john#
>
> I don't understand because if I type konqueror as myself/regular user
> Konqueror opens  (Still doesn't see internet connection).
> Maybe none of that has anything to do with anything???

I think that's a security feature. Running complex GUI apps as root is
generally not a good idea as there may be bugs lurking in the
complexity which could have more devastating effects if you're root.
Having said that, I've just tried running konqueror myself as root for
the first time and it didn't complain, so not quite sure here, but I
very much doubt it's connected.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons